Thursday, November 1, 2012

"Ill with want and poisoned by this ugly greed"


Last week our city wide consisted of going down town and handing out pizza to talk to homeless people. I always love hanging out with people in this situation. They are usually really authentic and willing to talk. I talked to one guy for a really long time. One thing he said that stuck with me was the fact that we take so much for granted. And he said that when he had money he took it for granted as well. Something as simple as being able to choose what we get to eat. There are a lot of meals for the homeless here in Philly but they don't get to choose what they have... they get what they get. I think in America we have become "Ill with want". And yes, that is another Avett Brother's song! But it rings true every time I hear it. The line that sticks out to me is: "The more I have the more I think I am almost where I need to be... If only I could get a little more" I think that this is a common feeling in the consumerised America. I am scared that we have become sick with how much we desire to have. The kingdom of God is a kingdom of denying our wants for sinful and sometimes material things. So let me challenge you to go and pick up a homeless person and ask them what THEY want to eat and take them out and get them something. We must become less so that He may become more. Another line of the song is "I need for something; nah let me break it down again... I need for something but not more medicine." We need Jesus to be the ruler of our financial lives and if our money is going to say "In God we Trust", let’s spend it like we believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment