Friday, September 28, 2012

Gym Class Hero

At first I had trouble coming up with something to write about. There are so many options: Community living, hanging out with the simple way, lessons I am learning, the neighborhood outreach, church partnership, public transportation, lack of funding from the government on needed programs, or lack of support from suburban churches or even urban sometimes. These are all topics I may blog about one of these days but today a quote came to mind. “Those who can't... teach and those who can't teach... teach gym." So here I am finding myself a gym teacher at the age of 18. I am working at a school named Logan Hope. Logan Hope is a small private school that gives quality education for a very small tuition. The school is mostly Cambodian students with a hand full of African American students and about 6 white students. I teach Gym to kids age 5 to 15. That is a large gap in capabilities. God has been teaching me so much in just one week of teaching. He constantly reminds me that I can't even teach Gym without Him. I am forced to pray constantly before, during and after class. The title of this Blog is Gym Class Hero but that is far from what I am. I had the idea of coming in and being the poster child of fun. This is not an easy task for me when I am teaching kindergartners who can't even sit in a circle for duck, duck goose. I do not change the title though because there is a hero in gym class. It is not me though. God is the hero in Logan Hope's gym class. He is the one who allows the kids to have fun despite me. He is the one who loves the kids and is patient with them. I thank God daily that He is my Hero and is the Hero in my class!



2 comments:

  1. Hey kiddo.
    Loved reading and hearing a little bit about what's goin on up there. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear what you're doing there. I've been able to keep up with it sort of through your parents but it's nice to hear a first hand count. And don't sell yourself short, I'm sure you're doing an amazing job with the kids.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete